Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy "Tell a Vet Thanks" Day




I was listening to the inspiring words of the song on this video, "America the Beautiful," and I wonder, since I don't have schoolage children, do they even teach this song in public school anymore?

Here are the words to verse 3 and 4. I found them at ScoutSongs.com. I learned the words to several verses of this song in public school back in the late 1950s and early 1960s, including verse 3 and 4. Did you? Are your kids learning this song? The decision not to sing this song in school is just another piece of the same political correctness that is killing this country.

I was at a Tea Party gathering this past summer, and a guy was handing out a song sheet with words to "America the Beautiful" and other patriotic songs. I applauded his foresight, but at the same time I felt sad; twenty years ago, no one would have had to hand out lyrics to "America the Beautiful." But that was OK; as a group, we sang those songs lustfully. It's a happy memory.

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!


No comments: